There are many activities available to visitor of historic Hawick. Some of the highlights can be found on the tabs to the right, but please visit the local tourist centre at: Hawick Tourist Centre for further information.
Hawick is renowned for its famous Common Riding, and for it’s Pro/Am rugby. Hawick has history in the textile industry, which can be visited at the Border Textile Towerhouse museum.
The tourist centre has a wide variety of local gifts and maps, and can provide information for tourists to help with accommodations, Historic Scotland Passes and other helpful insights into the beautiful town of Hawick.
There is some fine walks in and around Hawick from a gentle stroll to hillwalking through the beauty of the upper Teviot, Borthwick and Slitrig valleys, offering the visitor extensive views of the town and the surrounding Border hills.
A new walk has been created at Williestruther Loch approximately 2 miles from the town centre which can be reached via The Loan and Rosebank Road, past the Golf Club, turning left at the crossroads and right at Williestruther Kennels.
Fishing in and around Hawick is available on the river Teviot with its salmon, trout and grayling. Loch fishing is also available as well and the Angling Club have lochs that are well stocked.
Permits are available from Libby’s Pet Shop on the High Street or at the Hawick Angling Club at the Sandbed.
Visitors are made very welcome at the 18 hole Hawick Golf Club founded in 1877 and the oldest in the Borders where you will find full clubhouse facilities and food available all day. Packages available on request.
Horse riding is always a great activity to explore the area following the routes of the Border Reviers.
There are several riding schools in the Hawick area. Here we’ve listed a few:-
Hawick Common-Riding is a yearly festival. The Hawick Common-Riding is the first of the Border Common Ridings and celebrates both the capture of an English Flag in 1514 by the youth of Hawick at a place called Hornshole and the ancient custom of riding the marches or boundaries of the common land.
About 2 miles down the Teviot from Hawick, where the river narrows into a deep dark pool, tradition says that a band of Hawick youths routed a party of English marauding soldiers in 1514, bringing back their flag triumphantly to Hawick a replica of which is carried annually by the “Cornet” around the boundaries of the town’s common lands accompanied by a mounted cavalcade of supporters
Teviotdale Leisure Centre with its Lagoon style swimming pool with toddler and main pool. There is also a soft play area and cafe and otgher sports facilities.
For opening times, please click on the link below:-
With a combined history of 65 years in glassmaking, extending from traditional to abstract styles, father and son team, Peter and Andrew invite you to visit their showroom and shop.